Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Informative & Inspirational Tom

Tom Sumner's lecture was very informative. It was interesting to hear how book publishing is changing. I was still under the impression that what he referred to as the "old way" of publishing still existed. I was never familiar with the channels authors had to go through before they became known, but I thought once they have become well known authors, publishers threw money at them just to have the opportunity to publish their books. It definitely makes sense to pay authors once profit is made versus assuming the book will be successful.
Another way publishing is changing that Tom talked about was how anyone can get a book published. This is great for someone who is unfamiliar with how to get a book published through a big-name publisher. I have had thoughts about writing a book someday and knowing that it is easier than I thought to get a book published is great.
One last point I would like to mention, is how passionate Tom is about his job. It is always wonderful to see someone love what they do. I know many people who are content with their lives, but they would admit there is something they rather be doing. There have been many obstacles in my life and seeing someone like him reminds me that it is possible to achieve your goals and dream.

No comments: