Thursday, January 21, 2010

Is Rhetoric All Around Us?

Rhetoric is a new term in my vocabulary. I am sitting here trying to think of what to write about rhetoric. My professor has taught me that the meaning of rhetoric includes three Greek terms. The three terms are ethos, pathos, and logos. Ethos is self, pathos is emotion and logos is logic. I believe these each define a way of persuasion. There were advertising examples given in class to help define rhetoric.

The advertising examples has made me realize how I see rhetoric being used all the time. Companies market their products or services using self, emotion, and logic to help acquire customers. I think all advertisements we see on television and magazines are using some form of rhetoric. Without the concept of rhetoric, it would be tough to stay in business.

No comments: